Picking up where pt. 1 left off, the Summer Hot Mess pt. 2 relies heavily on current EDM smashes and several that will soon be. Charli XCX makes a mid-summer bid with Boom Clap, a song that is already heating up at radio and will soon explode on the world’s dance floors with the Cahill remix. Paramore drops a little disco-pop on us with their latest Ain’t It Funny, a personal favorite.
The sleeper hit of the summer has got to go to Joywave’s Tongues. The original is a fun low-tech 80s throwback with a hilarious video to back it up. The remixes by Sted-E & Hybrid Heights and DJ Laszlo take it to a whole new level. Once those bouncy beats kick in, you’re hooked in a loop that you won’t get out of your head for days.
Robin Thicke’s Forever Love is a plea for forgiveness for sticking his dick in just about anything on two legs. It’s likely a smart move on his part to help prevent his ex from bleeding him financially, then again I digress. Jennifer and Nicki make a show with their new offerings (both of which I’d cast a shoulder of ambivalence towards). Capital Cities follows up their massive 2013 hit Safe and Sound with One Minute More, which is another excellent slice of summer electro-pop.
We also have proven staples like Matthew Koma’s Wasted, Rita Ora’s I Will Never Let You Down and Calvin Harris’ Summer. You’ll notice that R3hab, who has been cleansing his remixes lately with a more polished tone has remixed all three of these songs lending him more commercial cred, while still allowing him to burn the barn down with the same songs in his live performances. A very smart move if you ask me.
Cosmic Dawn’s remix of Beyonce’s XO is the perfect example of cell phones lighting up the night in a nice slow sway during a live performance. Why his version was not pushed to radio still mystifies me. Finally, DJ Taj created a mandatory mashup of Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz. To be honest, this is by far the best remix of this song I’ve heard so far. Using piece’s of Syn Coles remix of Find You by Zedd and Matthew Koma, DJ Taj manages to give this lilting summer smash some dance floor wings without demolishing the original. You can pick up a copy for free on his Facebook page here.
The 2K14 Summer Edition for the circuit boys appears to be in great shape as I put the finishing touches on it. I’ll likely have those two sets out early this next week so I can take a much-needed break from the site. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far and has a fantastic weekend. Until the next time …ENJOY!
1. Charli XCX - Boom Clap (Cahill Extended Mix)
2. Paramore - Aint It Funny (Smash Mode Extended)
3. MITS & Marcus Santoro feat. Courtney Brianna - You & I (MITS Alternative Mix)
4. Tiesto feat. Matthew Koma - Wasted (R3hab Remix)
5. Joywave feat. Kopps - Tongues (Sted-E & Hybrid Heights Club Remix)
6. Santana & Wyclef feat. Avicii & Alexandre Pires - Dar um Jeito (We Will Find a Way) (It's The DJ Kue Remix!)
7. Nicki Minaj - Masquerade (Country Club Martini Crew Remix)
8. Robin Thicke - Forever Love (Afrojack Remix)
9. Jennifer Lopez - First Love (Syn Cole Vocal Mix)
10. David Guetta feat. Sam Martin - Lovers On The Sun (Extended Mix)
11. We Are Legends feat. Caroline Ailin - Begging For Amnesia (Original Version)
12. Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down (WestFunk & Steve Smart Club Remix)
13. Galantis - You (Tiesto vs. Twoloud Clean Remix)
14. Calvin Harris - Summer (R3hab & Ummet Ozcan Remix)
15. Chris Lake - Changes (Adam Cooper 2014 Bootleg Remix)
16. Icona Pop - Just Another Night (StoneBridge & Luv Gunz Extended Mix)
17. Tove Lo - Habits (The Chainsmokers Extended Remix)
18. Capital Cities - One Minute More (Nocss Remix)
19. Beyoncé - XO (Cosmic Dawn Club Mix)
20. Nico & Vinz vs. Zedd - Am I Wrong (DJ Taj vs. Syn Cole Mashup Remix)