It’s always a sigh of relief when I finish one of these epic anthologies and I’m happy with the final product. Volume four of the Ultimate 90’s House Classics showcases the splintering of the genre and how more progressive versions of House Music were suddenly taking over dance floors.
Club 69 (a.k.a. Peter Rauhofer) who was generally a sexy house music production geared toward gay audiences, changed musical directions quite rapidly. Eventually, the productions became more progressive and frenetic, which would drive peak hour crowds into a tizzy. Club 69 hit it big with remixes for Funky Green Dogs “Fired Up” and Kevin Aviance “Din Da Da” amongst many others during this period.
At the same time, Tony Moran, Junior Vasquez, Victor Calderone, Ralphi Rosario and Hex Hector were beefing up their sound while making it more palatable to a mainstream audience giving the genre and even further reach. This is not to say the House Music in its purest form wasn’t still king as evidenced by the multitude of #1 club songs included in this final set. But, this new sound was embarking on something much bigger that would eventually takeover not only the charts but dance floors in the coming years.
Everyone found their place or shall I say true calling as a DJ and no longer were these guys just a DJ, two turntables and a microphone (thank you Beck). They were stars in their own right that could pack a venue. Perhaps the biggest contributor to their stardom was none other than Clive Davis of Arista records. He saw not just in terms of financial but the need to expand his diva roster’s reach into the world of dance and by extension their popularity. After all, where would Deborah Cox be today if it weren’t for him pushing her in both angles of R&B and Dance extending her visibility across boundaries.
While Party Favorz enjoys all the various genres and tribute sets I put out from Trash Disco, 80’s Dance, Eurodance and Trance — I have the most affinity with House Music and its various iterations. The Ultimate 90’s House Classics series is dear to my heart. While this series is far from the last word on House Music (as there’s just way too much to be included even if the artists and songs deserve it) — it’s likely the closest you’ll ever find in a comprehensive history of the genre.
We still have two more years to go with 1998 – 1999, which are bound to bring back some fond memories for many of you. I’m not certain as to when I’ll be dropping those but likely sometime in the summer or no later than early fall. I still have the Ultimate Trance series I’ve been teasing that I want to get out by the end of the year as well. Until then…ENJOY!
Album : The Ultimate 90’s House Classics [1996 – 1997] Vol.4
Genre : 90’s Classic House
Year : 2021
Total Time : 2:40:22
1. Toni Braxton – I Don’t Want To (Franki Knuckle’s Classic Club Mix)
2. Roberta Flack – Killing Me Softly With His Song (Soul Solution Mix)
3. Me’Shell NdegeOcello – Who Is He And What Is He To You (DT’s N.Y.D.C. Mix)
4. Patti LaBelle – The Right Kinda Lover (Stone & Nick Full Delight Mix).
5. Janet Jackson feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell – Got ‘Til It’s Gone (Def Club Mix)
6. George Michael – Star People ’97 (Forthright Club Mix)
7. Mr. President – Coco Jamboo (Mousse T.’s Extended Club Mix)
8. Ruffneck feat. Yavahn – Move Your Body (Peppermint Extended Mix)
9. Devoné – Energy (Vission & Lorimer Mix II)
10. Patti LaBelle – When You Talk About Love (Hex Hector Main Club Mix)
11. Funky Green Dogs – The Way (Club 69 Future Mix)
12. Depeche Mode – It’s No Good (Club 69 Future Mix)
13. Pump Friction – That Sound (Ralphi Rosario Remix)
14. Kellee – This Man (Ralphi’s ”Get Another Cocktail” Mix)
15. Happy Clappers – Can’t Help It (Ultimix)
16. Dajae – Day By Day (Cajmere’s Extended Mix)
17. Nuyorican Soul feat. Jocelyn Brown – It’s Alright, I Feel It! (Mood II Swing Remix)
18. Mary J. Blige – Love Is All We Need (D.Y.M.K. Club Mix)
19. Michael Jackson – History (Tony Moran’s History Lesson)
20. Cher – One By One (Junior Vasquez Club Vocal Mix)
21. Lisa Stansfield – Never Gonna Fall (Junior’s Return To 27th & 10th Anthem)
22. Toni Braxton – You’re Makin’ Me High (David Morales Classic Mix)
23. Deborah Cox – Who Do U Love (David Morales Classic Club Mix)
24. Urban Soul – Show Me (Def Club Mix)
25. Ace Of Base – Lucky Love (Lenny B’s Club Mix)
26. Alcatraz – Give Me Luv (Original Mix)
27. Kevin Aviance – Din Da Da (Club 69 Future Mix)