2016 ushered in a sea-change of musical styles in dance music. While the big anthem is still a guaranteed hit; elements of our past have largely taken over the dance floor. 70’s disco is stronger than ever as Nile Rodgers has exerted his influence into several number one hits. A lot of folks aren’t aware that in addition to fronting the wildly successful 70’s disco band Chic, he had a massive influence in the 80’s producing mega-smashes by Madonna, Diana Ross, David Bowie and Duran Duran to name a few. His expertise was in high demand and considered hot property during the decade. Much like Giorgio Moroder (Donna Summer), he’s proven that what’s old is new once again.
Perhaps the one song from 2015 that completely changed the game was ‘Lean On Me’ by Major Lazer & DJ Snake. The massive summer hit with it’s laid back Reggaeton style and percussion have paved the way for so many of the hits that have run up the 2016 charts in pop as well as dance. For now, the traditional 128 bpm dance track has taken a backseat to an average of 120 bpm that leans more to radio than it does for the dance floor. When creating a non-stop mix; we adjust or get left behind.
The four sets that compile the 2016 Year in Dance reflect that change. It’s all about the slower, slinky beats that borrow heavily from the 70’s and 80’s with commercialized Deep House still remaining strong. As I’ve said time and again, everything is cyclical. At some point, 90’s era house music will make a resurgence but for now, it’s all about the downbeat.
I’ll be back tomorrow with pt. 3 of the Year in Dance. Until then…ENJOY!
Album : Year in Dance 2016 pt. 2
Genre : EDM, House, Dance
Year : 2016
Total Time : 01:52:16
- Tinashe – Superlove (Cutmore Extended)
- Empire Of The Sun – Walking On A Dream (Kaskade Remix)
- Nathan Sykes feat. Ariana Grande – Over And Over Again (Cahill Club Mix)
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling (Daniel Siman Tov Remix)
- Justin Bieber – Sorry (CLX Extended Mix)
- Kungs vs. Cookin’ On 3 Burners – This Girl (Paul Goodyear Ultimix)
- Bruno Mars – 24K Magic (Discotron Remix)
- Beyonce – Formation (Jamie de Von Remix)
- G-Eazy & Bebe Rexha – Me, Myself & I (Viceroy Remix)
- Calvin Harris – My Way (Kue Remix)
- Alessia Cara – Here (Cosmic Dawn Xmix Remix)
- Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself (Kream Extended)
- Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha – In The Name Of Love (Sneaker Snob Club Mix)
- Alesso feat. Nico & Vinz – I Wanna Know (Alesso & Deniz Koyu Remix)
- Tori Kelly – Hollow (WestFunk Club Edit)
- Lukas Graham – 7 Years (Paul Goodyear Ultimix)
- Troye Sivan – Youth (Wideboys Future Remix)
- Britney Spears feat. G-Eazy – Make Me (Ray Rhodes Remix)
- Sheila Gordhan – Smile (AM2PM Remix)
- Joe Bermudez feat. Louise Carver – Sunrise (Mark Lower Extended Remix)
- Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike feat. Ne-Yo – Higher Place (Afrojack Remix)
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk – Starboy (Joe Maz Club Mix)
- Zara Larsson & MNEK – Never Forget You (Mark Ralph Club Mix)
- Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth – See You Again (Bassthunder Remix)
- Snakehips feat. Tinashe & Chance The Rapper – All My Friends (99 Souls Club Mix)