Party Favorz is back with one of our bucket list items that move us from the Ultimate 90s House Classics into the millennium. I took a different approach to this series, which immediately becomes obvious with the title.
First, I started with 1999 because it is possibly one of the best years in dance music history. Many of today’s biggest hits have reworked samples that have been turned into massive anthems for a new generation of partygoers. Everything from the late Paul Johnson’s “Get Get Down,” “Lady (Hear Me Tonight) by Modjo,” “9 PM (Til I Come)” by ATB to “Around the World (La La La La La)” by ATC and “Blue (Da Ba Dee)” by Eifel 65 have been plucked from the dance music annals breathing new life into the originals. Heck, even our lady Bey’s smash album “Renaissance” is packed with samples from bygone eras.
The other thing you’ll notice is that this first set spans 4 years. The millennium was a great time for the evolution of dance music from Progressive House which began in the mid-90s and exploded by the end of the decade, to Trance, Techno, Hard Dance, French House, Filtered House, Funky House, Electro House and music that combined elements of all these genres. Of course, the advancement of technology had a lot to do with the abundance of offerings but it was human ingenuity that pushed the boundaries of what House Music could be.
Needless to say, it’s difficult to focus on just the hits because there were so many memorable underground hits as well depending on where you lived and the bars you frequented. If you’re looking for the big room progressive sounds by Hex Hector, Victor Calderone, Peter Rauhofer, Thunderpuss, Junior Vasquez, or Jonathan Peters — you’re better off revisiting our Top Dance Songs of the Year series, which starts in 1996 but it’s 1999 and beyond you’re after. Frankly, 1999 needs to be expanded but I haven’t gotten around to it. Equally, five out of the six DJs mentioned have their own Legacy series linked in this article. Depending on what decisions are made with the future of Party Favorz next year — I may go back and do a series with just the big room progressive house anthems featuring these DJs and others. That could be a lot of fun. However, for this series — they were not included.
I wasn’t sure how this would turn out but this and the upcoming volume 2 have been on repeat in my car for several weeks now as I worked out the final track selections and I’m pleasantly surprised. There is a good deal of House Music styles here with some more Progressive House as it got redefined along with some long-lost gems that even I had completely forgotten about. These sets are long but what’s nice is that you’ll be surprised with each turn within the set.
For the House purest, I had long ago created the purer Millennial House Music Classics series. I’ll likely wrap up this series with two sets of 2003 – 2006 and 2007 – 2010 sometime in January.
For now, I invite everyone to take a journey with me to a not-so-distant past. It may make you feel old but honestly, if this is your scene — you were part of the cool kids. For our young listeners and aspiring DJs — there’s a lot of inspiration contained within these sets. Frankly, you could drop most of these songs in any modern set and nobody would be any wiser. That’s how good they are.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album: Millennial Dance Classics [1999 – 2002] Vol. 1
Genre: House Music, Progressive House, Funky House
Total Time: 04:09:53
1. Bob Sinclar – I Feel For You (Morillo Re-Edit)
2. Chili Hi Fly – Is It Love (Chris & James Remix)
3. Joey Negro feat. Taka Boom – Must Be The Music (Club Mix)
4. Basement Jaxx – Red Alert (Erick Morillo & Harry ‘Choo Choo’ Romero Vocal Mix)
5. Paul Johnson – Get Get Down (Choo Choo’s Subliminal Mix)
6. Black Legend – You See The Trouble With Me (We’ll Be In Trouble Extended Mix)
7. Robbie Rivera – The Hum Melody (Original Mix)
8. Shaft – Mucho Mambo (Sway) (Original Club Mix)
9. Johnny Corporate – Sunday Shoutin’ (95 North vs. TM Vocal Mix)
10. Tim Deluxe feat. Sam Obernik – It Just Won’t Do (Club Mix)
11. Wamdue Project – King Of My Castle ’09 (Roy Malone Kings Mix Original)
12. Moloko – Sing It Back (Boris Musical Mix)
13. Jamiroquai – Little L (Bob Sinclar Mix)
14. Modjo – Lady (Hear Me Tonight) (Harry Choo Choo Romero’s Original Recipe)
15. Dido – Thank You (Deep Dish Vocal)
16. Iio – Rapture (Tastes So Sweet) (Original Mix)
17. Brancaccio & Aisher – It’s Gonna Be… (A Lovely Day) (Bini & Martini Club Mix)
18. Daniel Bedingfield – Gotta Get Thru This (Passengerz Violation Vox Club Mix)
19. Timo Maas – Shifter (Roger Sanchez Mix)
20. Groove Armada feat. Gram’ma Funk – I See You Baby (Fatboy Slim Remix)
21. Kraze – The Party 2001 (Lovecity Club Mix One)
22. Armand Van Helden feat. Duan Harden – You Don’t Know Me (Original 12″)
23. Shakedown – At Night (Original Club Mix)
24. MAW pres. India – To Be In Love (Full Intention Club)
25. X-Press 2 feat. David Byrne – Lazy (Norman Cook Remix)
26. Madison Avenue – Don’t Call Me Baby (Original 12″ Mix)
27. Ben Shaw feat. Adele Holness – So Strong (Original Mix)
28. Gabrielle – Rise (Deep Dish Hi-Rise Remix)
29. Coldplay – Clocks (Heaven & Earth Division Remix)
30. Goldtrix feat. Andrea Brown – It’s Love (Trippin’) (The Original EPTN Mix)
31. Sonique – It Feels So Good (Breakbeat 12″)
32. Télépopmusik – Breathe (Extended Mix)
33. Frou Frou – Breathe In (Watkins Vocal Mix)
34. Shannon – Let The Music Play (Full Intention Club Mix)
35. Madonna – Music (Deep Dish Dot Com Remix)
36. Who Da Funk feat. Jessica Eve – Shiny Disco Balls (Original Mix)
37. Fierce Ruling Diva – You Gotta Believe (Superchumbo’s Factory Flashback Mix)
38. Narcotic Thrust – Safe From Harm (K-Klass Off Limits Mix – Edit)
39. Dirty Vegas – Days Go By (Full Vocal Mix)
40. Sono – Keep Control (Extended Mix)
Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Amazon Music | Android | iHeartRadio | TuneIn | RSS | Donate