As promised, I’m dropping “Rave Machine,” the latest from the Peak Hour House Music series and this one is a thumper! It’s definitely darker than past efforts but looking back, that seems to be the norm around this time of year. I did my best to flesh it out with some Prog-House and Techno to keep it interesting. However, I’m beginning to wonder if the Tech House genre has maxed out its potential.
You, folks, know that over the years I bitch and moan about the state of the “hot dance genre” of the moment. Whether it be big room EDM anthems with the anticipated drop, the commercialization of Deep House which peaked in 2014 before rebranding itself “Future House” and the more recent Reggaeton trend, which wore out its welcome over a year ago (at least after “Despacito” was a worldwide hit).
While Tech House hasn’t actually crossed into the mainstream, its popularity has swelled considerably to the point that there’s just not a lot of originality coming out of its ranks. To be clear, there are some great tracks (included here) but it’s best to try to mix in other genres to keep things interesting. I may even go back and take a stab at the “Spin Me Around” set I put out in 2017, which incorporated a HUGE swath of genres that normally don’t work well together in a set but for whatever reason, I managed to pull off. I enjoy the whole unpredictable nature of sets like that, which also lend themselves to what my music sets are mainly about: having a party. We’ll see.
If you want a better take on my thoughts, read “The Epic of Passable Tech House” by Michael Sundius. He touches on the very same things I’ve been whining about for years but does it with more panache and colorful writing than I can muster.
To any of the artists included in this set, please do not be upset. I ain’t ragging on you. You wouldn’t be included if I didn’t think these tracks were stellar. Quite the opposite.
Take this writing for what it is but don’t let it sway your opinion. I worked this motherfucker out and if you’re a fan of this series, you won’t be disappointed.
As I promised yesterday, I’m going to start work on the next commercial Dance-Club set, which you can expect to drop sometime late next week. Until then…ENJOY!
Album: Rave Machine
Genre: Tech House, Techno, Progressive House
Total Time: 02:05:53
1. Ilija Djokovic – Atom (Original Mix)
2. Armand Van Helden – Witch Doktor (Agent Orange DJ 2018 Rework)
3. Martin Ikin feat. Hayley May – Following (Original Mix)
4. The Deepshakerz feat. Robert Owens – Reach (Cassimm Remix)
5. Qubiko – Benozal (Alvaro Smart Remix)
6. Go Freek & Playmode Feat. Dances With White Girls – Elevate (Extended Mix)
7. Darius Syrossian – Danzer (Original Mix)
8. Bedran. – Keep Pushing (Vocal Mix)
9. Sultan + Shepard – American Dream (Extended Mix)
10. Gorgon City – Lick Shot (Extended Mix)
11. Junior Sanchez – The Burn (Extended Mix)
12. Huxley – Freekon (Original Mix)
13. Illyus Barrientos – Shout (Original Mix)
14. Alaia & Gallo – Sunday Morning (Cassimm Remix)
15. Biscits – Do It Like This (Extended Mix)
16. Franky Rizardo – Rave Machine (Original Mix)
17. Antranig – Back 2 House (Extended Mix)
18. Green Velvet & Gene Farris – Galaxie (Original Mix)
19. Moreno Pezzolato – C’mon (Original Mix)
20. Martin Ikin – No No (Original Mix)
21. Booka Shade – Trespass 2019 (Mark Knight Extended Remix)
22. Eats Everything – Space Raiders (Charlotte de Witte Remix)
23. Franky Wah – Get Me High (Original Mix)
24. Prospa – Prayer (Absolute. Remix)