House music, an enduring and transformative genre, found its origins in the mid-1980s, maturing and taking firm roots by the end of the decade which evolved into what’s now considered 90s Classic House music. Remember the “Disco Sucks” movement in the early 80s? Dance music never really disappeared; instead, it began a fragmented evolution. Thanks to synth-laden tracks and beat machines made famous by DJ icons like Giorgio Moroder and Cerrone, it morphed into new realms.
The Evolution of 90s Classic House Music
From New Wave dance and Hi NRG to classic House music in the 90s, the genre’s influence has permeated every dance floor. Early subdivisions like Acid House, Hip Hop, Breakbeat, Freestyle and Trip Hop paved the way for commercial sensations like “Pump Up the Volume,” by M/A/R/R/S, the Shep Pettibone remix of “Bizarre Love Triangle,” and “Vogue” by Madonna as well as the Acid House classic “Theme from S’Express” by S’Express.
Spanning from 1988 to 1991, the Ultimate 90’s House Music Classics series encapsulates this genre’s underground roots before its mainstream success. The 90s House music classics like “Finally,” by CeCe Peniston “Show Me Love,” by Robin S and “Gypsy Woman (She’s Homeless)” by Crystal Waters owe their existence to the humble beginnings in Chicago, spreading to New York and then globally.
Superstar DJs and the 90s House Music Classics
Classic House music 90s didn’t just shape the era; it created legends. Beyond Frankie Knuckles, figures like Larry Levan, Steve “Silk” Hurley, and David Morales were pivotal in the genre. The Shep Pettibone remix of “Rhythm Nation” by Janet Jackson, or Shep’s House Mix of “Miss You Much” are a testament to the talent of these pioneers.
This series wouldn’t be complete without mentioning songs like Soul II Soul’s “Keep On Movin'” and “Back 2 Life (However Do You Want Me)” or the 12″ Choice Mix of “Finally” by Ce Ce Peniston. And who could forget the ever-catchy Nomad’s “(I Wanna Give You) Devotion”? Whether they were original hits like Snap!’s “The Power” or Marshall Jefferson’s “Move Your Body,” which is been remastered and released as a hit just recently — they each contributed to the 90s classic House music legacy.
Of course, not every track was timeless. Right Said Fred’s “I’m Too Sexy” might have been a one-off earworm, but it, along with the Shep Pettibone Remix of Madonna’s “Vogue,” belongs to the larger narrative of this influential era.
Compiling, mixing, and remastering the best 90s House remixes has been a remarkable endeavor. Party Favorz’s journey through these old school House music hits provides not only nostalgia but inspiration for aspiring DJs. This history keeps repeating itself, making it worth your time to explore and educate yourself.
With the first three volumes scheduled for release soon, followed by some new Disco House and Peak Hour sets, this collection stands as a testament to love, passion, and devotion to all things House Music.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album : The Ultimate 90’s House Classics [1988 – 1991] Vol. 1
Genre : 90’s Classic House
Year : 2020
Total Time : 2:26:46
1. Soul II Soul – Keep On Movin’ (Original Mix)
2. Sybil – Don’t Make Me Over (The KING-dom Come Mix)
3. DNA feat. Suzanne Vega – Tom’s Diner (12″ Mix)
4. Beats International – Dub Be Good To Me (Norman Cook’s Excursion On The Version)
5. Soul II Soul feat. Caron Wheeler – Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) (Ultimix)
6. Lisa Stansfield – All Around The World (Select Mix Remix)
7. The Chimes – 1-2-3 (UK Raw Mix)
8. Snap! – The Power (Full Mix)
9. B.G. The Prince Of Rap – This Beat Is Hot (Get Into The Rhythm Mix)
10. Janet Jackson – Rhythm Nation (House Nation Mix)
11. Heavy D & The Boyz – Now That We Found Love (David Morales Mix)
12. Mariah Carey – Someday (New 12″ House)
13. The Chimes – Heaven (Physical Mix)
14. Chaka Khan – I’m Every Woman (Dancin’ Danny D)
15. Mariah Carey – Emotions (12″ Club Mix)
16. Lisa Fischer – Save Me (DM2 Mix)
17. Ce Ce Peniston – Finally (12″ Choice Mix)
18. London Beat – I’ve Been Thinking About You (Def 12″ Mix)
19. Malcolm Mclaren & The Bootzilla Orchestra – Deep In Vogue (Banjie Realness)
20. Madonna – Express Yourself (Non-Stop Express Mix)
21. Cathy Dennis – Touch Me (All Night Long) (Ultimix)
22. The Cover Girls – Funk Boutique (12″ Remix)
23. Nomad – (I Wanna Give You) Devotion (Original Club Mix)
24. Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch – Good Vibrations (Donnie D.’s Boomin’ Bass High Powered Club Dub)
25. Deskee – Dance Dance (Tony Humphries Mix)
26. Deee-Lite – Good Beat (Extend The Beat Mix)
27. Janet Jackson – Miss You Much (Shep’s House Mix)
28. Madonna – Vogue (Select Mix Remix)