We continue our exploration of the Iconic 90s Dance Hits with volume 2 of the Ultimate 90’s House Classics, centering on 1994 and 1995. This installment celebrates some of the decade’s Classic House Tracks that still resonate today.
A highlight for me is N’Dea Davenport‘s contributions, both with the Brand New Heavies and her upcoming solo work. Alongside Adeva and Barbara Tucker, these powerhouse vocalists defined the era with their soulful melodies, placing them on a level that few could reach.
However, it’s not all praise for this period. I have some reservations, particularly concerning David Morales and, to some extent, C + C Music Factory and Junior Vasquez. The Morales collaboration with Mariah Carey, like the take-me-to-church revival of “Anytime You Need a Friend,” feels misguided. It extended the track unnecessarily, losing the essence of the original piece. The 11-minute epic needed trimming to an 8-minute version, but even then, it feels laborious.
These DJs typically blend the gospel with groove, but on this track, the energy never seems to ignite. “Pride (A Deeper Love)” by Aretha Franklin, expertly mixed by Clivillés and Cole, kept the song moving with a deep groove, something lacking in “Anytime You Need a Friend.” Thankfully, Morales found his stride with the mix of “My All,” although it surprisingly peaked only at #3 on the dance charts.
This volume of Iconic 90s Dance Hits wouldn’t be complete without mentioning crossover hits like the Bucketheads (Kenny “Dope” Gonzalez) “The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind)” and “Magic Carpet Ride” by the Mighty Dub Katz (Norman Cook and GMoney). Both these tracks bridged the gap between dance floors and radios, epitomizing the influence of 90s House Music.
As I curate the final volume of this two-year series, the progression towards harder house and the emergence of Trance are evident. Still, the tracks remain loyal to the House Music sphere, reminiscent of how Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love” stayed true to the Discosphere during its release era.
Stay tuned for volume three of the Ultimate 90s House Classics 1994 – 1995, dropping next week, as we keep reliving the Iconic 90s Dance Hits that shaped our musical culture.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album : The Ultimate 90’s House Classics [1994 – 1995] Vol. 2
Genre : 90’s Classic House
Year : 2021
Total Time : 2:43:17
1. Juliet Roberts – I Want You (Rollo & Sister Bliss Monster Club Mix)
2. Patti LaBelle – The Right Kinda Lover (Stone & Nick Full Delight Mix)
3. The Brand New Heavies – Dream On Dreamer (Heavies Motion Mix)
4. CeCe Peniston – I’m In The Mood (Bad Yard Club)
5. Whitney Houston – Queen Of The Night (CJ Mackintosh Mix)
6. Love Happy – Message Of Love (CJ’s Original Mix)
7. Seal – Newborn Friend (David Morales Extended Vocal Club Remix)
8. Everything But The Girl – Missing (Todd Terry Club Mix)
9. Ace Of Base – Living In Danger (David Morales’ D-House Mix Long Version)
10. The Brand New Heavies – Spend Some Time (Brothers In Rhythm Club Mix)
11. Mariah Carey – Anytime You Need A Friend (C + C Club Mix)
12. CeCe Peniston – Keep Givin Me Your Love (West End Mix)
13. Sounds Of Blackness – Everything Is Gonna Be Alright (Foundation Mix)
14. Carleen Anderson – Mama Said (K Klassic Mix)
15. Meechie – Bring Me Joy (Matthew’s Big Vocal Mix)
16. Gloria Estefan – Everlasting Love (Love To Infinity Classic Paradise Mix)
17. Jaki Graham – Ain’t Nobody (Love To Infinity Classic Paradise Mix)
18. Basia – Drunk On Love (Roger’s Ultimate Anthem Mix)
19. Juliet Roberts – Caught In The Middle (Def Classic 12″ Mix)
20. Madonna – Secret (Junior’s Luscious Club Mix)
21. Janet Jackson – Runaway (Silk Housy Mix)
22. Gloria Estefan – I’m Not Giving You Up (Tony Moran 12″ Remix)
23. Crystal Waters – Relax (Jazz N Groove Club Mix)
24. Duran Duran – White Lines (70’s Club Mix)
25. The Bucketheads – The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind) (Original Mix)
26. Mighty Dub Katz – Magic Carpet Ride (Original Remix)
27. Hed Boys – Girls And Boys (Seka Mix)