Aretha Franklin was originally inducted into the Diva Hall of Fame in 2016. Her entire history and back catalog is not inconsequential and for music buffs (fanatics) like myself, I was completely mesmerized by her work once I really started digging into her earlier catalog that was before my time.
By all accounts, my musical education goes way past what’s presented here on this site. Yes, I love house music in all its forms but the truth is, I just love music. From Motown, Stax and Soul to Disco, New Wave, Hard Rock, Punk, Country, and Pop, I absorb it all and have a vast appreciation for virtually everything.
Aretha Franklin is one of the biggest standouts of my musical brain. I listen to her when I need a pick me up or even when I’m in a celebratory mood. Her music, her vocals, her style and ability to reinterpret other people’s music is second to none. Her music and voice was the soundtrack for a generation of people that were living through the turbulent times of the 60’s when equal rights and war took center stage as protests mounted throughout this nation. There is a reason she is the Queen of Soul.
Party Favorz is a site devoted to all things “dance” and the variety of genres that fall under that all-encompassing label. It would be difficult to pigeon-hole Aretha into any of these categories but ever since she began dabbling in sophisticated disco in the early 80’s, which later exploded into the massive “Freeway of Love,” “Who’s Zoomin’ Who,” and “Another Night,” there is no denying her ability to cross genres.
It wasn’t until the early 90’s when C + C Music (Clivillés and Cole) reworked her single for the “A Deeper Love” from the “Sister Act 2” soundtrack that she successfully transitioned into House Music. That song has been a major staple in DJ arsenals and has been reworked a multitude of times; mainly because of its deep resonance with the Gay community.
What’s important to note is that many (but not all) of her earlier hits have inspired today’s DJ’s to sample those works and present these classic songs to a whole new generation. Many of those are represented here along with her more contemporary releases and official remixes. What I’ve pulled together is the best of both worlds.
While her original induction into the Diva Hall of Fame is still up on this site, this new set expands on several of those songs with new releases and alternate versions than what first appeared on that induction. Once I heard the news of her illness, I began working on this set a week ago and frankly think I’ve outdone myself because pulling all these different genres together is no easy task.
With that said, Party Favorz is honoring the one and only Aretha Franklin in a way that I only know how. She is widely considered to be one of the best and most influential singers in American history. With much love and R-E-S-P-E-C-T, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the fabulous Aretha Franklin. ENJOY!
This set has been updated from the original post on 8-18-2018. The song “Freeway of Love” was re-eq’d due to overcompression.
Album : Aretha Franklin [1942 – 2018] | Legacy
Genre : House, Soul
Year : 2018
Total Time : 1:47:52
- Chain Of Fools (Shimi Sonic Remix)
- Think (91 Remix)
- Since You’ve Been Gone (Tom Moulton Extended Mix)
- Here We Go Again (Morales Classic Mix)
- Rolling In The Deep (Wideboys Club Remix)
- Get It Right (DJ ”S” Bootleg Remix)
- Jump To It (Twism & B3RAO Mix)
- Everyday People (Remix)
- I’m Every Woman/Respect (Eric Kupper Club Mix)
- I Say A Little Prayer (Dimitri From Paris Re-Edit)
- A Rose Is Still A Rose (Love To Infinity Club Mix)
- Freeway Of Love (DJ LGV Funky House Remix 2006)
- The Only Thing Missin’ (Furilla Remix)
- I Will Survive (The Aretha Version) (Terry Hunter Extended Remix)
- A Deeper Love (Chic Remix By Thierry B)
- Who’s Zoomin’ Who (Bernd Hess HooverDeluxeEdit 2014)
- Until You Come Back 2 Me (Dom Navarra House Remix)
- Respect (Discotizer’s Jacked Up Remix)
- Rock Steady (Disco Tech Re-Krivit Edit)
- Chain of Fools (The SAME Remix)
- A Deeper Love (Sam Halabi Mixes)
- Baby, I Love You (Sammy Senior Remix)