Navigating through the storied tapestry of house music, you’ll undoubtedly come across the seminal influence of Frankie Knuckles, often lauded as the “Godfather of House Music.” While the origins of house can be debated, there’s no questioning Frankie Knuckles’ everlasting impact on the genre. His legacy resonates not only through the historical corridors of house but also on contemporary dance floors worldwide.
Frankie Knuckles was in the same league as other iconic figures like Shep Pettibone, Lil Louis, Masters at Work (MAW), Todd Terry, David Morales, and Junior Vasquez. These artists collectively laid the foundation for what we know as house music today. However, Frankie stood out for his particular touch—akin to how bees intricately create honey—devising sonic experiences that were both deeply emotive and irresistibly danceable.
One simply cannot discuss Frankie Knuckles without mentioning the cornerstone tracks that define his career. For instance, his treatment of Michael Jackson’s “Rock With You” infuses the classic with an even more infectious groove. Similarly, his take on Diana Ross’s “Love Hangover” is a timeless reinterpretation that uplifts the original while honoring its essence. He’s also responsible for dance floor anthems like “The Pressure [Part 1]” by Sounds of Blackness and his own landmark tracks like “The Whistle Song,” which he crafted as part of the Director’s Cut project.
Knuckles was not merely a remixer; he was an alchemist of sound, altering the base elements of existing works to create something entirely new. His collaboration with Satoshi Tomiie on “Tears” is a perfect example of this, as is his involvement in The Shapeshifters’ “Back to Basics,” where he partnered with Eric Kupper under the Director’s Cut banner.
A plethora of tribute sets already exists, each aiming to honor Frankie Knuckles and his monumental contribution to dance music. Adding my own tribute mix to this growing list is the least I can do to celebrate a man who brought so much joy and innovation to the genre. As we remember Frankie Knuckles, the irreplaceable godfather of house, we can only hope that he’s still spinning records in that grand celestial club, awaiting the day we can all join him on the dance floor.
And so, the music plays on. Rest in peace, Frankie Knuckles.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album : Frankie Knuckles Tribute Volume 1
Genre : House
Year : 2014
Total Time : 01:15:08
1. Michael Jackson – Rock With You (Frankie Remix)
2. Rufus & Chaka Khan – Ain’t Nobody (Frankie Hallucinogenic Dub)
3. Diana Ross – Love Hangover (Frankie Mix)
4. Frankie Knuckles feat. Roberta Gilliam – Workout (1992 Vocal Mix)
5. Ariana Grande – Baby I (Frankie & Eric Kupper Director’s Cut Mix)
6. Fire Island feat. Loleatta Holloway – Shout To The Top (Frankie Classic Club Mix)
7. Sounds Of Blackness – The Pressure [Part 1] (Frankie Classic Club Version)
8. Frankie Knuckles & Director ‘s Cut – The Whistle Song (Re-Directed)
9. Frankie Knuckles pres. Satoshi Tomiie – Tears (Classic Vocal)
10. Duke Dumont feat. A.M.E. – Need U (100%) (Director’s Cut Signature Mix)
11. Hercules & Love Affair – Blind (Frankie Remix)
12. The Shapeshifters – Back to Basics (Director’s Cut Signature Mix)