If you were into alternative rock in the 90s (and who wasn’t) or were bouncing off the walls at raves popping up all over the globe, then you were likely a big fan of Garbage. The group formed in Madison, Wisconsin in 1993 and featured Scottish-born Shirley Manson and Americans Duke Erikson, Steve Marker, and Butch Vig. They have sold over 17 million albums worldwide.¹
While every member was instrumental in the composition and creation of all their songs, it was the charismatic and outspoken Shirley Manson who was not only the lead vocalist but the focal point behind these veteran players. Often sought out for interviews, Manson was not demure in her opinions on a variety of subjects in frank language.
Manson likely is indebted to women like Debbie Harry (Blondie), Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders), and to a certain extent Wendy O. Williams (Plasmatics). Much like these leading ladies, they controlled the narrative, led all-male bands, and embodied female empowerment.
Shirley Manson is the defacto Diva’s DIVA of a different stripe. The remixes of the group’s biggest tracks (save a couple) are fairly dark and embody the changing musical landscape in the ’90s when a variety of sub-genres of house music were springing up.
While hindsight is 20/20, listening to the blistering drum and bass of Crystal Method’s remix of “I Think I’m Paranoid” and Felix Da Housecat’s remix of “Androgyny” it sounds like the focus was more on the remixer than the actual songs themselves. Then again, if you were all hopped up on X at the time, you likely didn’t care.
Collectively, I’ve covered the period when Garbage was at its peak. These remixes paved the way for many of the styles we hear today and frankly could fit easily into any modern-day set.
Being one of my all-time favorite groups (along with the influencers mentioned above), Party Favorz is thrilled to induct Shirley Manson and Garbage into the Diva Hall of Fame. Enjoy!
Album: Shirley Manson + Garbage | The Diva Series
Genre: House, D&B, Techno, Trance
Total Time: 01:40:55
- No. 1 Crush (Nellee Hooper Mix)
- Sex Is Not The Enemy (Naughty Vocal)
- Shut Your Mouth (Ken Reay Mix)
- I Think I’m Paranoid (Crystal Method Extended Mix)
- Androgyny (Thee Glitz Mix) (by Felix Da Housecat)
- Breaking Up The Girl (Brothers In Rhythm Therapy Mix)
- Stupid Girl (Tee’s Freeze Club)
- You Look So Fine (Eric Kupper Deep Drama Mix)
- Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (MaUVe’s Dark Vocal Mix)
- Milk (Rabbit In The Moon Got It Mix)
- Queer (Rabbit In The Moon Heftybag Mix)
- When I Grow Up (Danny Tenaglia’s Club Mix)
- Special (Brothers In Rhythm Mix)
- Push It (Victor Calderone Remix)
- The World Is Not Enough (Chilled Out Remix)
- Special (Rickidy Raw R+B Mix)
- Only Happy When It Rains (Scenester Remix)