In 2004, I was working about 70+ hours a week for Bellsouth (now AT&T), which didn’t leave a lot of time for music, but I managed. The problem I was having is that club music started getting really and I mean REALLY dark and depressing. It felt like you had to be on drugs to really appreciate it; something I had long since walked away from.
Production teams like Stephane K & Creamer; Friburn & Urik, Gabriel + Dresden, hell even my sweetheart Peter Rauhofer were taking the music places that I was too scared to travel down. Gone were the days of happy house and hands in the air power anthems.
Now, I realize that’s not entirely true but it definitely felt that way. Consequently, I stopped mixing that year and just focused on my work.
Some say that hindsight is 20/20 and frankly they are right. Going back and listening to these productions now, I can honestly say I appreciate them a whole lot more than I did when they were ruling the dance floor. Peter’s re-telling of A Thousand Beautiful Things by Annie Lennox fits the sentiment of the song so perfectly its beautiful perfection. Equally, Gabriel + Dresden’s bootleg remix of Save My Soul by Kristine W takes the song in unexpected territory, while capturing the beauty of the lyrics, and eerily evoking resurrection from its original meaning. That folks takes mastery to pull off which Peter and G+D did with some serious skill.
The music from the Year-End Edition 2004 is not without its faults; on the contrary, there were plenty of clunkers that ruled the charts and the floors that frankly didn’t belong there. Equally, there are some rare gems among the rough here that are definitely worth your time and attention.
There are a total of four sets for 2004; give them a listen and let me know what you think. What were your favorite tunes from this year? I’m curious and would really like to know.
For anyone wondering, redemption came in 2005 when a friend of mine dragged me to a club and I heard the Freemason’s remix of Mesmerized by Faith Evans for the very first time. I was blown away and jumped right back in again.
Album : Year-end Edition 2004 | Volume 1
Genre : Circuit, House, Electro
Year : 2004
Total Time : 01:18:47
1. Frankie Knuckles feat. Jamie Principle – Bac N Da Day (Morales Mix)
2. Simply Red – Fake (Phunk investigation Extended Club Mix)
3. Annie Lennox – Wonderful (Dave Aude Extended Vocal Club)
4. Kevin Aviance – Give It Up (Friburn & Urik vs. Tony Moran Vox Edit)
5. Murk – Time (Peter Rauhofer Timeless Club Mix)
6. Richard Humpty Vission – Never Let Me Down (RHV & Raoul Zerna Big Floor Funk Mix)
7. Junior Jack feat. Robert Smith – Da Hype (Warren Clarke Vocal Dub Mix)
8. Kylie Minogue – Slow (Wayne G. Heaven Vault Mix)
9. David Morales with Lea Lorien – How Would You Feel (Peter Rauhofer Reconstruction Mix)
10. Utada Hikaru – Devil Inside (Scumfrog Remix)
11. Christina Milian – Dip It Low (Full Intention Club Mix)
12. Britney Spears – Toxic (Peter Rauhofer Reconstruction Mix)