I’m sad to announce that one of the most prolific and talented divas Kim English has passed away at the very young age of 48. With a total of 13 top 10 Billboard Club/Dance tracks and 8 that reached #1 on the chart, the self-penned tracks spoke of her sincerely held religious convictions with themes of joy, empowerment, and personal relationships provided the soundtrack to many in the gay community. Hit’s like “Unspeakable Joy,” “Everyday,” and ‘Treat Me Right” live on in our memories of what real house music was all about.
After the release of her third album “My Destiny,” Kim gave an interview where she admitted that it was difficult to reconcile her differences between her faith and the gay community. This statement alone had a significant impact on her career in which her label — the infamous Nervous Records — withdrew future support for her album.
I tend to look at this through the lens of what happens when our idols prove to be less than our pre-conceived notions and the pedestal we place them on. Michael Jackson and Donna Summer had similar issues during the latter part of their careers. I suggest we set aside the negative from the positive aspects of their music. Their impact on culture is so significant — we should separate their beliefs and actions from the timeline of memories they provided us. These 18 tracks stand as a testament to the power of Kim English’s work and what it represented to us at the time of their peak popularity.
Most of these tracks clock in anywhere from 9 – 12 minutes. I went through the list and heavily edited them to maintain their energy without losing the integrity of the originals.
Since Kim English was multi-talented in Soulful House Music with a Jazz sensibility, I plan on working out a second set featuring the same tracks that will have a different overall feel that is closer to her house music roots. I was never thrilled with her first induction into the Diva Hall of Fame, but this allows me to correct that wrong. In short, I worked this mother out!
It is with much love, admiration, and respect that Party Favorz re-inducts Kim English into the Diva Hall of Fame while simultaneously entering her into her rightfully earned place in our Legacy series. ENJOY!
Album: Kim English 2019 | The Definitive Diva Series
Genre: Dance, Club, Circuit
Total Time: 02:03:28
1. Missing You (Razor N Guido Twilo Mix)
2. Supernatural (Michael T. Diamond Remix)
3. Treat Me Right (Dirty Disco Mainroom Remix)
4. Nite Life (Rivera & Trattner Remix)
5. Everyday (Hex Hector & Mac Quayle Club Mix)
6. Bumpin’ & Jumpin’ (Michael T. Diamond Club Mix)
7. Nothing’s Impossible (The Str8jackets Asylum Rub)
8. Love Thing (Angel & Marriott)
9. Learn 2 Luv (Junior’s Education Is What You Need Mix)
10. It Makes A Difference (Tony Moran Arms Open Wide Club Mix)
11. My Destiny (Kobbe & Austin Leeds Club Mix)
12. C’est La Vie (Hex Hector Club Mix)
13. Unspeakable Joy (Razor N Guido Vocal Mix)
14. Missing You (Mindtrap Remix)
15. Higher Things (Thunderpuss Club Anthem)
16. Time For Love (Friburn & Urik Remix)
17. Tomorrow (Mark’s Full Circuit Club)
18. I Know A Place (Heaven & Earth DMC Mix)