In furtherance of our Legacy series that honors the late Kim English, I wanted to cover the flipside to Kim’s career. Ms. English was originally from Chicago and like many famous artists that preceded her, has roots in her hometown church singing gospel. House music’s roots are embedded in gospel music and Kim — with her smoky alto — was a natural fit.
Her voice is very much reminiscent of Toni Braxton and Anita Baker. In fact, she re-recorded “Been So Long” from Anita’s Grammy-winning album “Rapture” — and a remix by Wamdue is included here.
Her original recording of “Nite Life” with Ten City is what got her noticed. The song is a classic staple in the House Music annals and has been re-worked a multitude of times over the years. With interest from Masters at Work (Louie Vega and Kenny Dope), Nervous Records picked the track up and signed Kim to a recording deal.
Throughout that deal, Kim had a total of eight #1 club hits on the Billboard charts. On one end, you had the circuit-driven throbbing beats from some of the biggest names in DJ production such as Razor N Guido, Michael T. Diamond, Hex Hector, Junior Vasquez, Thunderpuss and more.
On the flip side, she was remixed by some of the most prominent House Music producers as well including David Morales, Masters At Work, Todd Edwards, John Cutler, Mousse T., E-Smoove, ATFC and more. These remixes are the primary focus of this second set.
With so many mixes to choose from, I took this set towards a heavier house sound than my previous effort. It begins with a couple of Soulful House tracks and then escalates from there. If you want her true Soulful House experience, then the original House Sessions I created for her is still up on the site.
It is with love and respect that Party Favorz honors the late Kim English in this final set. Given the evolving nature of club music today, her talent will be sorely missed. RIP.
Album: Kim English 2019 | The Definitive House Sessions
Genre: House Music
Total Time: 02:01:29
1. It Makes A Difference (Kyle Smith Soulful Vox Club Mix)
2. Been So Long (Wamdue Remix)
3. Time For Love (David Morales Club Mix)
4. My Destiny (DJ Exacta Club Mix)
5. Unspeakable Joy (Osio Club Mix)
6. Jumpin’ & Bumpin’ (Zack’s Original Mix)
7. Missing You (Richard Earnshaw Vocal Mix)
8. Tomorrow (Todd Edwards Extended Club Version)
9. Natural High (Midnight City Club Mix)
10. Nothing’s Impossible (ATFC Main Mix)
11. Treat Me Right (John Cutler Vocal Mix)
12. Nite Life (Bump Edit)
13. Everyday (Maurice Joshua Club Mix)
14. Supernatural (Mousse T’s Discoid Club Mix)
15. C’est La Vie (Scott Wozniak Vocal Remix)
16. Learn 2 Luv (Mood II Swing Vocal Mix)
17. Higher Things (Jazz n’ Groove Prime Time Club Mix)
18. I Know A Place (E-Smoove Club Mix)
19. Nite Life (Gershon Jackson’s House Of Omni Vocal Mix)