Shannon Brenda Greene (born May 2, 1958), known by the mononym Shannon, is an American singer and songwriter of freestyle and dance-pop music. She is best known for her single “Let the Music Play” “Give Me Tonight” which topped the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart in 1983-84.
In 1985, Shannon released her second album “Don’t You Wanna Get Away,” with the same-titled single reaching #1 on Billboard Dance Club Songs chart.
By the time her third album was released in 1986, it appeared her steam was running out. The album “Love Goes All the Way” failed to chart any singles on the dance charts and at radio. What is odd is that Shannon helped pioneer the freestyle genre and it was going stronger than ever at the time. Expose and Lisa Lisa with Cult Jam were very successful at radio and in the clubs. In fact, freestyle dominated the club charts and radio well into the mid-90’s.
Despite looking like an 80’s icon that was later the image of Whitney Houston and a great singing voice, it almost appeared that Atlantic records lost interest in promoting her as an artist or didn’t know how to market her. By 1987, Shannon asked to be released from her recording contract.
In the 90’s, Shannon had a resurgence with remixes of her two biggest hits by Hex Hector, Thunderpuss, and Chris Cox amongst others. She went on to further success recording for Todd Terry, Tony Moran, and Sash!.
It’s a shame Shannon had not gained the level of stardom that her peers had, especially since she embodied the full 80’s package. Nevertheless, her earliest hits are part of GenX musical catalog that is beloved by millions.
The first half of this tribute covers her 80’s output and then transitions into her 90’s work, which consists of House Music, Trance, and Circuit.
It is with great honor that Party Favorz inducts the fabulous Shannon into the Diva Hall of Fame.
Album: Shannon | The Diva Series
Genre: 80’s Dance, House
Total Time: 01:42:57
1. Urgent (10 Touch Radiomusic Remix)
2. Do You Wanna Get Away (Hot Tracks Mix)
3. Give Me Tonight (Hot Tracks Mix)
4. My Heart’s Divided (Re-Mix Version)
5. Dancin’ (Ultimix)
6. Let The Music Play (Ultimix)
7. Sweet Somebody (Special Extended Version)
8. Give Me Tonight (Hex Hector 2000 A.D. Club Mix)
9. Something About You (Eddie Baez Remix)
10. Intimate (Plasmic Honey Mix)
11. Move Mania (Lange Remix) [with Sash!]
12. It’s Over Love (Murk Miami Club Mix) [with Todd Terry]
13. Let The Music Play 2009 (Chris Cox & Trent Cantrelle Remix)
14. Pulsation (White Side Mix) [with Illicit]
15. The Rain Song (E-Smoove Rainy Day Mix)
16. It’s Got To Be Love (FM Edit Mix)