Over the decades, there have been plenty of girl groups that wrangled the public’s attention. The Supremes or Diana Ross & the Supremes as they were known in the waning years of the 60’s were the reigning queens out of a multitude of girl groups. The 70’s were a decade of obsolescence for the girls, while the 80’s began the uptick with Bananarama, Expose, the Go-Gos and the Bangles.
Once the 90’s rolled around, girl groups were all the fashion with massively successful SWV, En Vogue, TLC and Salt ‘n’ Pepa taking up the girl group rap mantle.
However, the most successful girl group of that decade was the Spice Girls. The original lineup consisted of Melanie Brown/Mel B.“Scary Spice,” Melanie Chisholm/Melanie C.“Sporty Spice,” Emma Bunton “Baby Spice,” Geri Halliwell “Ginger Spice,” and Victoria Beckham “Posh Spice.” The marketing of individual personalities in the form of spice, with each reflecting a different type of woman, was pure marketing genius.
In 1996, the brand (yes, it was a brand) became a global phenomenon with their debut single Wannabe, which reached number one in 37 countries. The Spice Girls went on to sell 80 million records worldwide and had a global franchise worth $500-800 million between 1996-1998.
In May 1998, Geri Halliwell announced her departure from the group citing “differences” not necessarily artistic or personality differences, just “differences.” By the end of 2000, the Spice Girls announced they would be going on indefinite status, effectively breaking up.
In 2008, all five Spice Girls reunited for a greatest hits album and tour.
Spice Girls are the most successful girl group of all time and have even recently announced a reunion with that includes Mel B, Baby Spice, and Geri Halliwell. With two of the original ingredients missing, this reunion feels a little flat.
The Diva Series honors all five ladies’ best work including Geri Hallwell and Melanie C solo singles; arguably the most successful members as a solo artist.
Let’s give it up for the ladies as Party Favorz lovingly inducts them into the Diva Hall of Fame.
If you downloaded this mix in the first 24 hours, it has been updated to the final edited version. The podcasts are the same, but 5 minutes have been edited out over various songs.
Album : Spice Girls | The Diva Series
Genre : House
Year : 2016
Total Time : 1:47:04
- Spice Girls – Spice Up Your Life (Morales Carnival Club Mix)
- Geri Halliwell – Mi Chico Latino (Junior Vasquez Main Pass)
- Spice Girls – Tell Me Why (Thunderpuss Club Mix)
- Melanie C – Never Be The Same Again (Kung Pow Remix).
- Spice Girls – Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (Sleaze Sisters Anthem Mix)
- Geri Halliwell – Ride It (Hex Hector 12” Mix)
- Spice Girls – Wannabe (Junior Vasquez 12” Club Mix)
- Melanie C – I Turn To You (Hex Hector Main Club Mix)
- Spice Girls – 2 Become 1 (Georgie Porgie Extended Mix)
- Spice Girls – Who Do You Think You Are (Morales Club Mix)
- Spice Girls – Holler (MAW Tribal Vocal Mix)
- Spice Girls – Step To Me (Matthew’s Disco Steppin’ Mix)
- Spice Girls – Say You’ll Be There (Junior’s Main Pass)
- Geri Halliwell – It’s Raining Men (Almighty Definitive Mix)
- Spice Girls – Spice Up Your Life (Ralphi Rosario Vocal Mix)
- Spice Girls – Wannabe (Soul Seekerz Extended Piano Vocal)
- Spice Girls – We Are Family (Live)