I like to think of this set as the second half of Janet’s career. Much like Madonna, the first half is ensconced with the traditional house mixes prominent in the late 80’s and much of the 90’s. Starting in 1997 with “the Velvet Rope,” the mixes began to take on much of what was happening in the clubs. With big names like Tony Moran, Thunderpuss, Jonathan Peters and Junior Vasquez mixing her music, Janet was able to successfully transition herself into the millennium.
By the time “Damita Jo” came out, she was one of the earliest adopters of the burgeoning electro and progressive scene which she squarely adopted on last year’s “Discipline.” Despite receiving critical reviews from her two previous efforts and reaching number #1 on the Billboard Album Chart, Discipline failed to garner any hit singles and to this day has sold a paltry 500,000 copies (not great for an established artist).
One could credit the unfortunate publicity incident at the Super Bowl for her downward spiral or maybe she was just ahead of the pack in mainstreaming the underground scene. Regardless, that didn’t stop her from continuing her streak of number ones on the club charts.
Much like many of our divas, we embrace Janet whole-heartedly and welcome the next chapter in her career. Though it is unclear, the rumor mill had Janet working with Jimmy Jam on a new album that was supposed to have come out in the spring. With the death of her brother and the greatest hits package just released, it’s obvious any new material will be pushed into 2010. Fiercely independent, Janet has a lot of options she could take. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what her next move is. Miss Jackson if you’re nasty, it’s time for your encore.
This set was originally posted on November 24, 2009. Since there are no current plans to update Miss Jackson’s original induction, I thought it was appropriate to go back and revisit her original induction into the Diva Hall of Fame for those fans that missed it the first time around.
Album : Janet Jackson v2
Genre : Club, House
Year : 2009
Total Time : 1:31:26.00
1. Together Again (Tony Moran 12” Club Mix Edit)
2. Call On Me (Tony Moran’s ‘Autumn Leaves’ Club Mix)
3. The Pleasure Principle (DT’S Twilo Dub)
4. Make Me (Dave Aude Club Mix)
5. Rock With U (Soundpusher Remix)
6. All Nite (Don’t Stop) (Low End Specialists Main Mix)
7. Just A Little While (Peter Rauhofer Club Mix)
8. Son Of A Gun (Al B. Rich Son Of A Club Remix)
9. Throb (David Morales Legendary Club Mix)
10. Feedback (Jody Den Broeder Club)
11. All For You (Change It Up Mix)
12. So Excited (Junior Vasquez Club Mix)
13. Come On Get Up (Milk & Sugar Retro Mix)
14. Twenty Foreplay (Junior Vasquez Jungle Club Mix)
15. Someone To Call My Lover (HQ2 Club Mix)