For those that caught my teaser on Facebook, which referenced the comeback of disco, let me just say that I may have oversold it but not really. The first true sign of a resurgence is Dua Lipa’s massive “Don’t Start Now,” which is the first mainstream attempt at injecting disco into its formula and it works in spades. DJ Barry Harris predicted a resurgence of disco in a recent post to his Facebook account. He would know because he gets commissioned for a lot of mainstream artist remixes and he’s reading the same signs that I am.
“Don’t Start Now” had a bevy of remixes commissioned by the label that accompanied its release. Labels do this to guarantee a hit for all tastes and it shows that they’re testing the waters. While there are a few really solid Future House remixes of this track, the one that tops every DJ’s list is the remix by Purple Disco Machine (featured here). You may remember that Party Favorz was the first to feature a Legacy set of PDM’s work in late 2018. Ever since I heard his remix of Hercules & Love Affair’s “Do You Feel the Same” in the HBO series “Looking,” I was hooked.
Fast forward a year later and PDM is everywhere and in high demand. I’m not saying that this site alone pushed him into the stars but I’d like to think that we (I) had a helping hand in his success.
Additionally, Sam Smith dropped a remake of Donna Summer’s techno-disco classic “I Feel Love,” which is blowing up just about every dancefloor around the globe — gay and straight. The track is a promotional tool for Target but I wouldn’t know because I don’t have cable. Honestly, who cares because this song is the fucking bomb! To be fair, lead singer Jimmy Sommerville of Bronski Beat fame got there first as far back as 1983 but we’re talking about a 4-decade-old song that was ahead of its time when it was released and is now being reintroduced (I might add very respectfully) to an entirely new generation.
In addition, there are other disco tracks in this set Jax Jones and Years & Years “Play,” which is given the PDM treatment as well as the fabulous “I Don’t Need Love” by Karen Hardin & Wh0, where Mark Knight and Michael Gray perform the remix duties. Taken in total, expect to be hearing more of this and less Reggaeton, Moonbatan, and likely even Trap as we get into the summer of next year. YOU. HEARD. IT. HEAR. FIRST.
All of my praise for the changing tides in popular and club music shouldn’t discourage anyone that’s a fan of the current club music landscape. The overall feel of this set is still Future House and club-friendly versions of your favorite pop songs.
We even have some notable remakes like “Silence” by Sylvain Armand, which was a massive hit for Delerium and Sarah McLachlan back in 1999 after DJ Tiesto got his hands on it. We also have “You Gotta Be” by Bombs Away with Reigan, which is a remake of the #5 pop hit by Des’ree from 1994. That track came out in April but got buried by the simultaneous release of “Back To Life” by Hilary Roberts, which went to top the club charts. “You Gotta Be” is only now climbing the charts but as good as it and the accompanying remixes are — it’s not clear how well it will do but worthy of inclusion.
Since I can’t give a point-by-point review of all the great tracks included in this set (many of which will be featured in our upcoming Top Dance Songs of 2019 multiset series), I’ll let everything speak for itself. I will be back next week with our final Circuit Tribal House set of the year — the annual Holiday Edition. Until then…ENJOY!
Album: Jingle Electric 2019
Genre: House, Future House, Funky House, NuDisco
Total Time: 02:42:16
1. Post Malone – Circles (Disco Fries Remix)
2. Meduza & Becky Hill feat. Goodboys – Lose Control (Alex Joker Remix)
3. Bombs Away feat. Reigan – You Gotta Be (GOLDFRSH Remix)
4. Galantis & Dolly Parton feat. Mr. Probz – Faith (Division 4 & Matt Consola Remix)
5. MK & Sonny Fodera feat. Raphaella – One Night (Extended Mix)
6. SHAED – Trampoline (Tromme Remix)
7. Sam Smith – I Feel Love (Intro)
8. The Black Eyed Peas & J Balvin – RITMO (David Dancos Remix)
9. Ed Sheeran feat. Camila Cabello & Cardi B – South Of The Border (Jacked Remix)
10. NOTD & Daya – Wanted (RetroVision Extended)
11. Sylvain Armand – Silence (VIP Mix)
12. Bruno Be & Fancy Inc. – Spectrum (Say My Name) (Extended Mix)
13. Tones And I – Dance Monkey (AZ2A & Keepin It Heale Remix)
14. Veronica Vega feat. Quavo – A Million (Joe Max Extended Remix)
15. Normani – Motivation (Lord N’ Classic Motivation Vox Remix)
16. Billie Eilish – Everything I Wanted (Charlie Lane Remix)
17. Karen Harding X Wh0 – I Don’t Need Love (Mark Knight & Michael Gray Remix)
18. Dua Lipa – Don’t Start Now (Purple Disco Machine Remix)
19. Jax Jones and Years & Years – Play (Purple Disco Machine Remix)
20. Halsey – Graveyard (Colin Jay Club)
21. Frawley – Easy (Kue Remix)
22. Selena Gomez – Lose You To Love Me (Colin Jay Remix)
23. Izzy Escobar – No Boys (Dave Aude Club Remix)
24. Vintage Culture & Fancy Inc – In The Dark (Extended Mix)
25. Kesha – Raising Hell (Justin Caruso Extended Remix)
26. Endor – Pump it Up (Fry Ups & Colin Jay Remix)
27. Tiesto & Mabel – God Is A Dancer (James Hype Extended)
28. King Of Leon – Sex On Fire (Division 4 Mix)
29. Maroon 5 – Memories (Extended Version)
30. Vassy – Trouble (Kue Remix)
31. Marnik & KSHMR feat. Anjulie & Jeffrey Jey – Alone (Extended Mix)
32. Regard – Ride It (Jonas Blue Remix)
33. Gryffin & Carly Rae Jepsen – OMG (More Mixes) (MOTI Extended)
34. Heather Small feat. Dirty Disco & Matt Consola – Moving On Up (Division 4 & Matt Consola Remix)
35. Riton & Oliver Heldens feat. Vula – Turn Me On (Marshall Jefferson Anthem Edit Extended Mix)
36. Lizzo – Good As Hell (DJ Kue Remix)
37. Duke Dumont feat. Zak Abel – The Power (Original Mix)
38. Gorgon City & MK – There For You (Jack Back Extended Remix)
39. Taylor Swift – Lover (Tempo Remix)