For the uninitiated, the Top Dance Songs of 2019 is a compilation of the top Dance Club songs of the year as chosen by Party Favorz. In deciding what makes the cut, Party Favorz pulls from Billboard’s Year-End charts in Dance Club Songs, Hot Dance Electronic Songs, Hot 100 Songs, and I pull several of my personal favorites from the year that deserve to be included.
Billboard allots points to songs based on the number of weeks they remain on their charts. Typically, it’s one point a week, bonus points for entering the Top 10, and then they’re assigned higher point values for each position they hold in the Top 10. It’s entirely possible that a song that never even hits the top of any of their charts still ranks high for the year due to longevity on the charts.
Much like the Academy Awards, there’s a cut-off date at the end of November of each year. Because Party Favorz understands people’s memories align with when a song is getting heavy rotation in clubs or dance radio, we also pull from the charts leading up to the last week before Christmas. For instance, Tiesto & Mabel’s “God Is a Dancer” just hit the top spot today and is included. As a result, you’ll likely notice the same songs hit our year-end retrospectives two years in a row. Ariana Grande’s “Thank U, Next” was so massively popular that it generated ongoing club and radio play through the first half of 2019 despite peaking in 2018.
Other tracks that are included are massive songs on the Hot 100 that may or may not even chart on the Dance Club chart but are so popular — they generate a plethora of authorized and bootleg remixes. It would be blasphemous to leave these tracks out because of the demand for them on dance floors and the overall impact they have on popular culture. If we’re going to paint a complete picture, their inclusion is mandatory.
DANCE CLUB ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Speaking of Ariana Grande, she was the top Dance Club artist of the year. The top 10 Dance Club artists are featured as the cover art for this first volume. they feature, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Madonna, Kendra Erika, Ava Max, Mark Ronson, Bleona, Fisher, and P!nk. I disagree with two of them, but points gave them that position so who am I to argue?
HOW THIS PODCAST STARTED
Party Favorz started right at the time the presidential elections began to heat up as Democrats narrowed their choices down to Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards in 2007. Three elections and two presidents later, we’re still here right after the impeachment of (not my president) Trump.
During this period, Party Favorz has been part of the revolution in technology like gigabit internet, the iPhone, file sharing to music streaming services. We’ve also witnessed the evolving trends in dance club music later coined EDM (Electronic Dance Music), which frankly — most of it has been since the 90s but has its roots in the 70s Disco (Donna Summer “I Feel Love“).
DISCO IS BACK
We’re literally on the precipice of coming full circle and as predicted, Classic Disco is making a comeback in a big way. While Future House, Electro House, Reggaeton, Moonbatan, and Trap have been the mainstays over the past several years and often merged into one another — the eventual return of Disco was inevitable. Indeed, it never went away but was buried in the underground scene and relegated to a select group of tastes that considered themselves connoisseurs of the genre and eventually slapped it with a new label “NuDisco.” Call it what you want, but it’s still Disco.
I’m expecting a total of three volumes to round out the Top Dance Songs of 2019 with another hopefully dropping on Saturday. For better or worse, these are the Top Dance songs of 2019. ENJOY!
Album: Year in Dance 2019 Volume 1
Genre: EDM, House, Dance, Club
Total Time: 02:05:24
1. Ariana Grande – 7 Rings (Division 4 & Matt Consola Remix)
2. Calvin Harris & Rag’n’Bone Man – Giant (Mark Jay Remix)
3. Selena Gomez – Lose You To Love Me (Colin Jay Remix)
4. Vassy – Trouble (Dan Thomas Miami Sunset Club Remix)
5. Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus – Old Town Road (Kue Remix)
6. Crystal Waters & R-Naldo – United In Dance (Kue Remix)
7. M-22 – White Lies (Extended Mix)
8. Oliver Heldens feat. Shungudzo – Fire In My Soul (Chris Cox Club Mix)
9. Kendra Erika – Self Control (Moto Blanco Club Remix)
10. Billy Porter – Love Yourself (John J-C Carr Club Remix)
11. Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next (Division 4 & Matt Consola Remix)
12. SHAED – Trampoline (Dave Aude Extended)
13. Endor – Pump It Up (Extended Mix)
14. Jack Back – Put Your Phone Down (Low) (Extended Mix)
15. Alan Walker feat. Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko – On My Way (Country Club Martini Crew Remix)
16. Tiesto, Jonas Blue & Rita Ora – Ritual (Club Mix)
17. Hilary Roberts – Back To Life (Cutmore & Wilson Club Remix)
18. FatBoy Slim – Praise You 2019 (Purple Disco Machine Extended Remix)
19. Madonna & Maluma – Medellin (Stormby Mix Edit)
20. Sam Smith & Normani – Dancing With A Stranger (Ray Isaac Club Mix)
21. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho (Apollo Remix)
22. Gryffin & Carly Rae Jepsen – OMG (Alphalove Extended)
23. Ed Sheeran feat. Khalid – Beautiful People (JME-LFY Remix)
24. P!nk feat. Cash Cash – Can We Pretend (Dirty Werk Extended Club Mix)
25. The Chainsmokers feat. 5 Seconds Of Summer – Who Do You Love (The Scene Kings Remix)
26. Madonna – I Rise (Thomas Gold Extended Club Mix)
27. P!nk – Walk Me Home (J Bruus & Colin Jay Remix)
28. Madonna & Swae Lee – Crave (Idaho Dangerous Club Mix)
29. Khalid – Talk (Alle Farben Extended)