OneRepublic is an American pop rock band formed in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 2002 consisting of lead vocalist Ryan Tedder, guitarist Zach Filkins, guitarist Drew Brown, bassist, and cellist Brent Kutzle, and drummer Eddie Fisher. These guys rose to fame on the now-defunct MySpace social media site.
Once signed to Velvet Hammer (a boutique label of Columbia Records), they recorded their first album in 2005. Two months prior to the release of their debut album “Dreaming Out Loud,” they were dropped by Columbia. Their first single “Apologize” was a big success on the MySpace music charts but didn’t get much notoriety outside of the social media network.
It wasn’t until famed producer Timbaland took notice of the group and signed them to his label Mosley Music Group. The original form of Apologize was released with little fanfare at radio but after Timbaland remixed the track and included it on his “Shock Value” album, the song skyrocketed to #1 internationally — including #1 for 8 weeks on Billboard’s Pop 100 chart.
OneRepublic continued to have minor success on the pop charts but what really made them shine were the epic remixes of their tracks. Their songs translated well into the burgeoning EDM scene at the time and managed to deliver epic sing-along anthems in the vein of Coldplay and U2 (both groups who also have dancy retrospectives in the Legacy series).
Despite having only released 4 studio albums and selling over 10 million albums globally — OneRepublic has never garnered the kind of respect that their contemporaries like Coldplay have. I liken them to The Alarm — the underdogs in the 80’s and 90’s that were often compared to U2 but never achieved the same global admiration despite an output of well-written anthemic songs. It’s difficult for a band to be compared to another when they are in fact their own entity and have their own style.
If you trust Party Favorz to deliver only the finest and are a fan of strong, meaningful, EPIC anthems, then trust me when I say that this set will sweep you up in the urgency and emotion portrayed in these songs. Even if you’re not familiar with many of the tracks — you will find yourself gleefully singing along.
Recently, OneRepublic has been working with a variety of stellar DJ/producers like Kygo, Seeb, and Galantis. This could be the start of an entirely new direction for them commercially. I certainly hope so.
This latest edition of the Legacy series will set off several more tributes this week and in the coming month. I hope ya’ll like this as much as I did putting it together. It’s been on repeat on my phone and in my car all week long.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album: OneRepublic – The Dance Legacy Series
Genre: EDM, House Music
Total Time: 01:45:12
1. I Lived (Arty Remix)
2. Stranger Things (SIIK Remix) [with Kygo]
3. Kids (Alex Ross Club Mix)
4. Marchin On (Manhattan Clique Mix)
5. If I Lose Myself (Burns Remix)
6. What You Wanted (DJ Rob Piccirillo Remix)
7. Rich Love (Oblivious Sound Remix) [with Seeb]
8. Lift Me Up (Michael Brun Remix)
9. Counting Stars (It’s the Kue Club Mix)
10. Apologize (Lenny B. Club Mix)
11. Something I Need (DJ S@n Sunshine Paradise Club Remix)
12. All The Right Moves (Dave Audé Club Mix)
13. Secrets (Chris Moody Remix)
14. Future Looks Good (Dash Berlin Extended Club Remix)
15. Feel Again (It’s the DJ Kue Remix)
16. Wherever I Go (Danny Dove Remix)
17. Apologize (Sultan & Shepard Remix)
18. Let’s Hurt Tonight (BUNT. Remix)
19. Love Runs Out (Passion Pit Remix)
20. Burning Bridges (JWAG Remix)
21. A.I. (RedQuin Remix)
22. Good Life (Demolition Crew Remix)
23. Bones (Kosling Bootleg) [with Galantis]