It’s that time of year where Party Favorz combs through and compiles the best EDM tracks of the year for our annual Time Capsule series. 2014 has been a year of transition for electronic music. While the independent and major labels keep churning out those BIG ROOM anthems hoping to score a crossover hit from the clubs to radio, I couldn’t help but sit back and yawn. That’s not to say there is no room for these anthems, because obviously there is. But, when I’m putting together the tracklist for a new set and almost half of the songs are big anthems (you know the ones with the build-up and then drop, only to climax) something had to give.
Fortunately, not everyone put all of their eggs in the same basket. After last year’s successful Daft Punk comeback, we have seen a resurgence in disco (currently called NuDisco…whatever) and House music (Deep House but still House whatever you want to label it). Duke Dumont lead the charge this year with the Whitney Houston inspired “I Got You” followed by Disclosure, Gorgan City, SecondCity and Clean Bandit. I also might add that these are ALL UK acts. Call it the second, third, fourth or even fifth British invasion if you want, but I wholeheartedly welcome it.
Typically, I post about four sets of commercial electro-pop-house tracks but this year, I’ve limited it to only three. To be certain, these are collectively some of the biggest tunes you were dancing to at your local club, not necessarily at some crazed festival (that’s another beast unto itself). I compile these using a method that’s one-third chart based (Billboard), one-third YouTube and SoundCloud user reaction based and one third my own personal preference; the latter having the strongest impact of the three. If I just went by the charts, the overall set would be pretty much shit and wouldn’t even come close to reflecting the most memorable songs of 2014. That’s not to say there aren’t some lame ducks in here because there are. I was willing to sacrifice a number one hit whose chart position was pretty much bought and paid for, for at least two of my picks LOL. I think it’s a fair trade-off.
The fourth set in the Time Capsule series is one long House Music set. That one was particularly difficult to compile because of all the outstanding music that came out this year in its various sub-genres. You can expect that to drop in a couple of weeks.
I’ll be back on Friday with volume two. Until then …ENJOY!
Album : Time Capsule 2K14 | Volume 1
Genre : EDM, Electro, Commercial
Year : 2014
Total Time : 01:20:37
1. Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea – Problem (Discotecture Remix)
2. Bebe Rexha – I Can’t Stop Drinking About You (The Chainsmokers Extended Mix)
3. Avicii – You Make Me (Extended Mix)
4. Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Goldhouse Club Mix)
5. Calvin Harris – Summer (Extended Mix)
6. Porter Robinson feat. Urban Cone – Lionhearted (Arty Remix)
7. Disclosure feat. Sam Smith – Latch (Lost Kings Remix)
8. Ed Sheeran – Sing (Syn Cole Extended Mix)
9. Moxie Raia – Buffalo Bill (Tiësto Remix)
10. Azealia Banks – Chasing Time (North 2 South Clean Extended Remix)
11. Iggy Azalea feat. Rita Ora – Black Widow (Dem Slackers Extended Mix)
12. Pitbull feat. Ke$ha – Timber (Jump Smokers Remix)
13. 3LAU feat. Bright Lights – How You Love Me (Original Mix)
14. MAGIC! – Rude (Zedd Extended Remix)
15. Coldplay feat. Avicii – A Sky Full Of Stars (Hi Def Bootleg)
16. Calvin Harris feat. John Newman – Blame (Bassanova Remix)
17. The Chainsmokers feat. sirenXX – Kanye (Club Mix)
18. Pharrell Williams – Happy (Danny Dove Remix)