A year later, we’re now reaching the end of the decade and have pulled out all the stops for what is certainly considered the golden age of House Music.
As we noted in earlier editions, the musical landscape began changing in the second half of the decade. After bubbling in the underground for several years before moving into the mainstream, Trance music took on a life of its own. While those tracks are not featured in this series (they’ll get their own ultimate classics series soon enough) — Progressive House was the alternate powerhouse genre in the movement fueled by Hex Hector, Victor Calderone, Thunderpuss, Jonathan Peters, Peter Rauhofer (a.k.a. Club 69), Danny Tenaglia, Rosabel, Razor N Guido, Pablo Flores, Junior Vasquez and Johnny Vicioius who blurred the lines between Progressive House and Trance.
Probably one of the biggest unsung heroes from this time period is Soul Solution who consisted of Bobby Guy and Ernie Lake. These guys were the go to for many commercial remixes and there’s a story there that I can’t seem to dig up so I’ll just go by what I remember. Don’t hold this as gospel because I’m only going by what I remembered. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this story.
Soul Solution was their brand but if I remember correctly, the trademark was owned by a major label. When they attempted to leave the label, they weren’t allowed to take the name with them. Since their brand was built under this name, it was near impossible to market themselves independently. Though, Ralphi Rosario from Rosabel managed to break out on his own as did Chris Cox from Thunderpuss and Guido Osorio from Razor N Guido but Bobby Guy and Ernie Lake were not household names. It’s likely why Hex Hector (who had worked with the guys on the breakthrough remix of Toni Braxton’s “Un-break My Heart” in 1996) picked up the slack in the coming years even though he was already in high demand.
You’ll likely remember a lot of their remixes but less so who remixed them. Party Favorz is here to set the record straight as much of their work will be featured over the next several sets.
The major change in club music was no accident but something that was in the making for the better half of the decade and is fondly remembered by club kids (including myself) with 1999 through maybe 2001 being the best the genre servered up. As musical tastes changed, Progressive House eventually gave way to Electro House — another genre that came up through the underground.
From some of the more obscure tracks, the biggest club hits including that whole short-lived Ibiza sound — TU90HC has got you covered. I had a lot of fun creating this first set and was taken back by Monifah’s “Touch Me,” which I had completely forgotten about. There will be a lot of these gems over these remaining sets that are gonna jog your memory and put a smile on your face.
Until the next time…ENJOY!
Album : The Ultimate 90’s House Classics [1998 – 1999] Vol.1
Genre : 90’s Classic House
Year : 2021
Total Time : 3:08:28
1. Jennifer Paige – Crush (David Morales Alt Club Body)
2. Jamiroquai – Supersonic (Pete Heller – The Love Mix)
3. Junior Sanchez feat. Dajae – B With U (Junior’s Main Mix)
4. Basement Jaxx – Rendez-Vu (Roger Sanchez’s Secret Mix)
5. Ricky Martin – Livin La Vida Loca (Pablo Flores English Club Mix)
6. Madonna – Beautiful Stranger (Calderone Club Mix)
7. Yaz – Situation ’99 (Club 69 Phuture Phunk Mix)
8. Duncan Sheik – Reasons For Living (Johnny Vicious Club Mix)
9. Sash! feat. Tina Cousins – Mysterious Times (Soul Solution Vocal Club Mix)
10. Shania Twain – From This Moment On (Soul Solution Remix Extended Version)
11. Mariah Carey – Heartbreaker (If You Should Ever Be Lonely) (Junior’s Club Mix)
12. David Morales pres. The Face feat. Juliet Roberts – Needin’ U (12″ Mix)
13. Blondie – Maria (Soul Solution Full Remix)
14. Monifah – Touch It (Hooker Mix)
15. Mousse T. vs. Hot ‘N’ Juicy – Horny ’98 (Mousse T.’s Extended Mix)
16. Destiny’s Child – Bills, Bills, Bills (Digital Black-N-Groove Club Mix)
17. Faith Evans – All Night Long (Soul Solution Club Mix)
18. Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You (Eddie “Love” Arroyo’s Savage Dance Mix)
19. Yazz & The Plastic Population – Stand Up For Your Love Rights (David Morales Remix)
20. Charlotte – Skin (Club 69 Future Anthem Club Mix)
21. Cher – Believe (Club 69 Future Anthem Mix)
22. Donna Summer – Love is The Healer (Eric Kupper’s ‘I Feel Healed’ 12″ Mix)
23. Celeda – Be Yourself (Danny Tenaglia Remix)
24. Pianoheadz – It’s Over (Distortion) (Perpetual Motion Remix)
25. Vengaboys – Up And Down (Airplay XXL)
26. Miss Jane – It’s A Fine Day (ATB Original Club Mix)
27. Dario G – Sunchyme (Original)
28. Pete Heller – Big Love (Body Music) (Orignial Club Mix)