Every year around this time, I rant and rave about classic Pride anthems and that it’s time to put them to rest but I just can’t seem to bring myself to do it.
Then it dawned on me the other day that the reason I keep going back to them each year is the same reason I pop on the X-mas tunes each year. Even though I’ve heard these songs so many times before, they hold a special place in my heart that bringing them out once a year just makes brings me a lot of joy.
I tried to do something different this go round and focused on specific production teams that are quite adept at filling our hearts, minds, and senses or frankly know how to put together a damn good anthem for us gay folk.
Obviously, this one focuses on Almighty, the longest running production house that is still going strong. In fact, they’ve been doing it for so long that this single set doesn’t even come close to their mammoth catalog most of which is out of print and very hard to come by.
Nevertheless, I tried to stay true to the spirit of the season with a few extras that have never made it on to any of my sets. Now I know many of you live for the sweeping vocals about love, empowerment and frankly men. I got ‘em all right here for your listening pleasure.
Did I forget to mention that I’m in a BIG OLE GAY MOOD right now? Even though the ATL does not celebrate Pride until early October, this is the official month in most of the US and the one I’ve always celebrated no matter where I lived. With the good news out of the SCOTUS today, gay folk are one step closer to becoming full-fledged citizens of this great country with all the equal protections, rights and promises embedded in our Constitution.
Now that they’ve ruled that DOMA is unconstitutional and that the federal government must recognize those families legally married in the states where it’s allowed, expect a plethora of lawsuits in all those states where it’s not legal, which will likely be rolled into one big fat gay case that lands back at the SCOTUS for the final nail in the discriminatory coffin. I digress because we have a lot to celebrate this year.
Folks, this is a marathon and I’ve got two more production teams I’ll be featuring tomorrow and Friday so pay close attention because the Party Favorz machine will be working really hard over the next 72 hours. Until then …ENJOY!
1. The Dream Girls - When Will I See You Again (Almighty Anthem Mix)
2. Kimberly Locke - Band Of Gold (Almighty 12''' Anthem Club Mix)
3. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man (Almighty Mix)
4. Miquel Brown - So Many Men, So Little Time (Almighty Definitive Mix)
5. Katherine Jenkins - Who Wants To Live Forever (Almighty Club Mix)
6. Diana Ross - The Boss (Almighty 12'' Essential Mix)
7. Yaz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up (Almighty Definitive Mix)
8. Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You (Almighty Mix)
9. Pet Shop Boys - New York City Boy (The Almighty Definitive Mix)
10. Indigo - Use It Up & Wear It Out (Almighty 12'' Anthem Mix)
11. Hannah Jones - Young Hearts Run Free (Almighty Mix)
12. Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (Almighty Mix)
13. Hazell Dean - Searchin' (Almighty 12'' Anthem Mix)
14. Martha Wash - It's Raining Men (Almighty Definitive Mix)
15. Jennifer Holliday - And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going (Almighty Definitive Mix)
16. Cher - Believe (Almighty Definitive Mix)
17. Mary Griffin - Perfect Moment (Almighty Extended Mix)