We have reached the end of the Hi-NRG Gay Anthems series and all I really have to say is WOW! Party Favorz has quite possibly the most extensive series of mixes dating back to the 70’s till the present day of any podcast out there and I’m always surprised at how well various sets perform. This series has outperformed even my wildest expectations.
Due to the fact that I’ve been hitting on these classics of varying genres and different time periods for quite some time, each new rollout is like a new discovery for many of you. I cannot recommend enough that if you’re new to Party Favorz that you spend some time exploring what all this site has to offer beyond just going chronologically through the posts. The site is fairly easy to navigate through the categories and sub-categories. There are over 800 podcasts in total that are still available on the site (not through the streaming services). I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what’s underneath the hood once you spend some time looking around.
That being said, volume 4 continues with the re-energized mixes of 80’s and 90’s gay anthem Hi-NRG Classics. You’ll notice I went with the Hannah Jones version of “I Am What I Am” as the Gloria Gaynor version felt dated. Jennifer Holliday’s “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” re-sung the vocals for the Almighty mix but it still stands up quite well. There are three different versions by Almighty, but I went with the one that could easily be dropped in the middle of the set.
The fabulous Katherine Ellis, who has been MIA for a while is making a comeback relatively soon (yes, I’ve already got the promos), delivers a searing rendition of the Gwen Guthrie 80’s classic “Ain’t Nothin Going On but the Rent,” turning it into an explosive dance floor stomper with 7th Heaven’s signature all over it.
You’ll also notice that the 1981 Lime NRG classic is a rare re-worked version that is actually one of the earliest Almighty mixes they ever laid down. It has the signature early 90’s house sound that updated the original for that period. Frankly, I think it still holds together quite nicely. I want to thank Marshall for helping me track this down as the quality of the version I had was sub-par.
I also went with Sarah Washington’s searing rendition of “I Will Always Love You,” which was released well before Clive Davis commissioned Hex Hector to rework Whitney’s massive hit several years after its original release. Sarah went on to have a massive hit with the Hex Hector produced “Heaven” by the end of the decade that’s a staple in DJ circles to this day.
Finally, I close out the set with the early 80’s re-work of the Ashford & Simpson penned tune “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” which was originally recorded by Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell but turned into a massive hit in the early 70’s for Diana Ross’ debut solo album. In this case, Inner Life did the honors featuring the uncredited vocals of Jocelyn Brown, who happens to be one of our Diva Hall of Fame entrants.
I want to thank Darren H. for his generous donation. Just please keep in mind, I really need the money starting in April when the hosting comes up for renewal. I plan on going back to Siteground as they are hands-down the best provider I’ve ever worked with.
Finally, I want to thank everyone that has made Party Favorz a continued success. I cannot believe I’m in my 12th year doing what I enjoy and being able to share my love for dance music to likeminded people. You really are the people that keep me motivated and plowing through.
I’ll likely be back by the end of the week or next with a couple of re-entries into the Diva Hall of Fame. Until then…ENJOY!
Album: Hi-NRG Gay Anthems volume 4
Genre: Hi-NRG, Dance, Gay Anthems
Total Time: 02:27:41
1. Olivia Newton-John – Xanadu (Almighty Definitive Mix)
2. Mary Griffin – Without You (Almighty Extended Club Mix)
3. Jackie Rawe – I Believe In Dreams (Almighty Anthem Mix)
4. Patti Labelle – New Attitude (Almighty Definitive Mix)
5. Deborah Harry – I Want That Man (Almighty Mix)
6. Hannah Jones – I Am What I Am (Mary Brazzle Mix)
7. Jennifer Holliday – And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going (Almighty Definitive Mix)
8. Lisa Stansfield – People Hold On ’09 (Erek McQueen ‘on Da Thin Line’ Club Mix)
9. Katherine Ellis – Ain’t Nothin’ Goin’ On But The Rent (7th Heaven Club Mix)
10. Erasure – Oh L’Amour (Almighty Essential Mix)
11. Chyp-Notic – Nothing Compares To You (The Ultimate Dance Version)
12. Lime – Babe We’re Gonna Love Tonight (1991 U.K. Remix)
13. Kortezman feat. Rozalla – Everybody’s Free (To Feel Good) (7th Heaven Mix)
14. Soraya Vivian – Don’t Lose The Magic (Extended Mix)
15. Cathy Dennis – Touch Me (All Night Long) (Peter Ellis Deep Disco Remix)
16. Sarah Washington – I Will Always Love You (Anthem Mix)
17. LuLu – To Sir With Love (Almighty Mix)
18. Lonnie Gordon – Gonna Catch You Baby (7th Heaven Mix)
19. De’lacy – Hideaway (7th Heaven Club Mix)
20. Phyllis Nelson – I Like You (Digital Visions Re-Edit)
21. Claudja Barry – Down And Counting (Hot Tracks Mix)
22. Boys Town Gang – Can’t Take My Eyes Off You (Alien Disco Sugar Remix)
23. Inner Life – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough pt.1 (JM 4am Mix pt. 1)